World Statistics Reveal How Customers are Reading Your Newsletters
When is the best time of the week
to send your newsletter?
Which day of the week results in the the highest average open
Sending your Newsletter at what time of day time generated the
highest open rate?
All good questions, right?
If you publish a permission based newsletter using a
sequential auto-responder like Aweber.com
you may be interested in a few of the most recent statistics
taken from thousands of AWeber customer newsletters sent over
the past 30 days.
These statistics represent some interesting facts about how
opt-in newsletter subscribers are absorbing your news.
This does not really relate to search engine marketing or SEO
but I know a lot of our readers do use Newsletter
communications to assist with a significant part of their
sales conversion process.
The following facts were presented to me by Mr. Tom Kulzer the
CEO & Founder of AWeber
Interesting reading! Please enjoy.
World Statistics taken over the past 30 days
as of August 10, 2005
- There were 12,561 subscribers in an average customer
opt-in newsletter list on Aweber.
- 4 minutes and 24 seconds is the average amount of time
between when a
customer queues a newsletter and when AWeber
- 94% of newsletter broadcasts are finished sending within
5 minutes of
when they are scheduled.
- 98.4% of newsletter broadcasts are finished sending
within 30 minutes
of when they are scheduled.
- 99.34% of all email was delivered successfully in the
last 30 days.
- 0.66% of all email was undeliverable in the last 30
closed, non-existent user, etc.)
- Average open rate of HTML and Text/HTML newsletters is
29.7% over the
past 30 days.
- Sunday generates the highest average open rate of 41.1%,
Saturday at 36.7% for newsletter sent date.
- Average Open Rate by Sent Date: (higher is better)
- Sunday generates the fewest undeliverable bounces at
newsletters sent on that date.
- Average Undeliverable Rate by Sent Date: (lower is
- Monday is the most popular day of the week for customers
their newsletters with 17.1% of newsletters being sent.
- Percent of newsletters being sent by customers weekly:
- An 8:00 AM EST send time generates the highest open rate
Interestingly sending at 9:00 AM EST has a significantly
rate of 33.7% with the worst time to send being 3-4 AM at
- Plain text messages are the most popular format of
with 65.9% of all newsletters sent. Mime format
follow at 23.8% and a remaining 10.2% of customers still
only messages even though it is strongly recommended to
a plain text version.
- Plain text messages generate the fewest undeliverable
0.46%. Mime format Text/HTML follows at 0.56% and HTML
have a whopping 1.09% undeliverable rate. This is a
behind our recommendation to always send a plain text
HTML formatted messages.
- Subject line personalization using the date generated an
rate of 51.4% compared to personalization using the
name generating 40.9% open rate. Newsletters sent
personalization of any type in the subject line generated
rates of 28.9%.
- 17% of customer newsletter subject lines sent in the
last 30 days
contained date personalization while 19% used the
name. 56.3% of subject lines did not contain any
- Interestingly, using the subscriber's full name or
last name generated lower average open rates at 20%.
CEO & Founder
These statistics are reproduced here with Mr. Kulzer's
permission and presented with introduction by John Alexander
About John Alexander
John Alexander is Co-director of Training at Search
Engine Workshops offering live, SEO Workshops with partner
Robin Nobles as well as online search engine marketing courses
through Online Web
Training. John is author of an
e-book called Wordtracker
Magic and co-author of
the Totally Non-Technical
Guide for A Successful Web Site. John
and Robin also host an event called the Ultra
Advanced Symposium on a quarterly basis.
Click here to go back to the
index of search engine marketing articles
Search Engine Workshops
. . . the premiere onsite
search engine marketing workshops in the world!
Terms of Service
© 2005 SearchEngineWorkshops.com. All
rights reserved. Duplication or reproduction
of the contents of this web
site, including, but not limited to, content, graphics and
source code, is
prohibited without expressed written consent by SearchEngineWorkshops.com.
Web design by Look Sharp Designs. Look Sharp... Be Found!